Monday, January 18, 2021

What a Friend We Have in Jesus

Greater love has no one than this,

that he lay down his life for his friends.

John 15:13

The next hymn in my favorites list is What a Friend We Have in Jesus.  I believe it is the theme of friendship that appeals to me.  I don’t make friends easily, and those I do have are very precious to me.  Jesus as a friend rather than a harsh judge is at the very foundation of my faith.

Joseph Scriven (1819-1886), was born in Ireland, and eventually moved to Canada - a man of wealth and education whose life was marked by the tragedy of his fiance’s death the night before the wedding.  When his mother became very ill back in Ireland, Scriven wrote to her of his love and concern.  He included in the letter a copy of his latest poem with the hope that she might find comfort in her dearest Friend, Jesus.

 


The Vagle Brothers


 

No comments:

Post a Comment