Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Lent - Day 12: Blessed are Those Who Mourn

 

Blessed are those who mourn,

for they shall be comforted.

Matthew 5:4

Many commentaries believe that Jesus here is referring solely to the Christian mourning for his/her sins.  Certainly our having sorrow for our sin is part of this mourning, but I believe there is so much more to the story.  I think this is the next step in the theme of realizing our need for God.

Human beings go through a vast array of mourning for the losses in our lives that can be overwhelming:  the loss of a spouse, child, or other family member; the loss of our job, the loss of our health, the loss of our mobility.  The list goes on and on.  And when we are faced with a loss in our lives, where should we turn to?  To this precious promise that when we mourn, we will be comforted. 

This pandemic has brought about loss:  our independence, our  face-to-face relationships with friends and family, our peace – to name just a few.  I don’t know what I would have done this last year without God to talk to.  He has uplifted me in my sorrow and given me comfort.

 



 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment