Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Lent - Day 37: Wednesday of Holy Week

 

The Scriptures do not mention this day.

-NIV Bible notes, pp. 1525

We know that Jesus and His disciples went to Bethany on Tuesday evening after their long day in the Temple.  We have no specific knowledge of what Jesus did on Wednesday, although we know that He was in Bethany.  Some scholars believe that Simon’s dinner in Bethany, where Mary anointed Jesus' feet, happened on Wednesday [Matthew 26:6-13].  Considering what He was facing the next day, it would not be beyond probability that he spent the day in reflection and prayer.  Perhaps the following portion of Isaiah was part of His meditation:

“Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my Chosen One in whom I delight.  I will put my Spirit on Him, and He will bring justice to the nations.  He will not shout or cry out, or raise His voice in the streets.  A bruised reed He will not break, and a smoldering wick He will not snuff out.  In faithfulness He will bring forth justice, He will not falter or be discouraged till He establishes justice on earth.  In His law, the islands will put their hope.”

This is what the Lord God says – He who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth, and all that comes out of it.  Who gives breath to its people and life to those who walk in it: 

“I, the Lord, have called You in righteousness. I will hold Your hand.  I will keep You and will make You to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles, to open the eyes of the blind, to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness.”

-Isaiah 42:1-7

 

No comments:

Post a Comment