Saturday, May 15, 2021

Birds-Birds-Birds


 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap 
or store away in barns, yet your Heavenly Father feeds them.
Are you not much more valuable than they?
Matthew 6:26

Yesterday afternoon I sat on my front steps for awhile, enjoying the intermittent sunshine.  Sitting as quietly as possible, I was able to watch an amazing variety of birds swooping in and out of my yard.  Morning doves are common visitors, as well as a bright red cardinal.  Robins were in attendance, and a very black bird that I assumed was a crow.  I am not what one would call "bird knowledgeable.  

Bird calls or songs are fascinating to me as a musician.  One of my feathery friends was singing ♩ ♬ ♬ ♩ - in G major - over and over again. Another, much louder bird sang ๐…Ÿ ๐…Ÿ ๐…Ÿ on an F# no less!  It almost sounded as if the two birds were exchanging pleasantries. Each bird song has a rhythm and a pitch.  Some even sound like they have a rhyme!

Matthew reminds us that, as God is directly involved in the lives of our bird friends, He longs to be involved in our lives on every level.  Do you have a song to sing for Him today?  

This is my Father's World, the birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white declare their Maker's praise.
This is my Father's world:  He shines in all that's fair.
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass, He speaks to me everywhere.
United Methodist Hymnal, No. 144

No comments:

Post a Comment