Wednesday, May 19, 2021

The Way

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.

No one comes to the father except through Me.

John 14:6 

I learned quickly as a child that when I followed the rules, I could expect a reward:  A gold star on my spelling test; a little statue of Bach for a perfectly memorized recital piece; an “A” on my report card; a scholarship for college. 

As an adult, the rules were more difficult, but the rewards were greater:  A much needed raise;  a coveted promotion; a corner office; breaking the glass ceiling.  I was taught that logical thinking, obeying the rules, and approaching life with gusto and integrity would guarantee my success.

Many people approach God with the same work ethic: Obey the rules (10 commandments), reap the reward (heaven).  In this one area of life, however, it simply doesn’t work like that.   The only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ – knowing Him, loving Him, following Him, and trusting Him to lead us home. 

 I will follow Thee, my Savior,

Thou didst shed Thy blood for me.

And though all men should forsake me,

By Thy grace, I'll follow Thee.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment