Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Who Has Your Back?

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.

We do not know what we ought to pray for,

But the Spirit Himself intercedes for us

With groanings that words cannot express.

Romans 8:26

There is a corner in my home office with a nice window to let in some light, an upholstered chair that is kind to my arthritic hip, and a small table that is perfect for a book and a water bottle.  This small spot has become my prayer corner, a place that I do not utilize nearly often enough.

I grew up in a difficult household and learned at an early age that it was better to keep my thoughts to myself.  Old habits are hard to break.  When I sit in my prayer corner and say “Good Morning” to God, I always start the conversation by talking about my kids.  When that immediate need is met, I more often than not lapse into silence, having no earthly clue what to say next. 

Our text today – this wonderful thought penned by Paul – reminds me that the Holy Spirit knows exactly what needs to be said and will present the petitions that need to be dealt with as incense rising to God.  That doesn’t mean that I do not need to try and share, but it is wonderful to know that when I just don’t have the words to carry on, the Spirit has my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment