Thursday, May 13, 2021

No Leaderboard Needed

 

I am not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made.

But I am well on my way – reaching out for Christ

who has so wondrously reached out for me.

Friends, don’t get me wrong.

By no means do I consider myself an expert in all this,

but I’ve got my eye on the goal,

where God is beckoning us onward – to Jesus.

I am off and running, and I’m not turning back.

Philippians 3:13-14 Message

I love to watch PGA golf, and on an average Sunday afternoon during the season, you can usually find me sitting on the couch, watching my favorites as they battle it out in the final round.  Yesterday it was Rory McIlroy that I was enthusiastically cheering on. 

Sometimes, as he waited his turn to proceed, Rory would glance at the leaderboard.  Just a glance – to see who was close behind and who, if anyone, was up ahead.  Then he turned his eye back to his own game and strode confidently forward.

Paul likened the believer’s life to a race toward a goal.  I like to call it a journey, and to remember that my daily walk with Jesus is just as important as my heavenly destination.  We are not glancing at a scorecard but fixing our eyes on the Savior – the “Author and Finisher of our faith.”

Lord, help me keep my eyes on You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment