Monday, May 17, 2021

Saul to Paul


 This man is my chosen instrument
to proclaim My name to the Gentiles and their kings,
and to the people of Israel.
Acts 9:15

The story of Saul/Paul has always fascinated me.  Resident religious bad boy and rising star in the ranks of the Pharisees, he was a scholar who was positive that Jesus was a false Messiah.  If you did not agree with his point a view, he was quite willing to put you to death.  Saul was not near the top of anyone’s list for leader of the fledgling Christian church – except God’s. 

After Saul’s murderous intentions were brought to a screeching halt on the road to Damascus, God told Ananias to go to Saul and anoint him.  Ananias was so shocked at that suggestion that he went so far as to question God’s judgment in the matter.  The Father gently put him in his place with the proclamation that Saul/Paul was His choice to take the message of the risen Savior to the world.

If you ever have doubts about your acceptance before God, or your worthiness of His love, read the story of Saul/Paul – the self-proclaimed Chief of Sinners.  Paul’s experience shines a beacon of hope on all of us.   There is nothing you can do to destroy God’s love for you.

Chief of sinners though I be,

Jesus shed His blood for me.

Died that I might live on high,

Died that I might never die;

As the branch is to the vine,

I am His and He is mine.

William McComb, 1738

No comments:

Post a Comment