Friday, May 7, 2021

Reading the Word

 

For the Word of God is quick, and powerful,

and sharper than any two-edged sword,

piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit,

and of the joints and marrow,

and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

Hebrews 4:12

Have you ever tried to read the Bible through?  I confess that I have a difficult time with the Old Testament, and usually lose my focus right round the Kings and the Chronicles.  This year, however, I am going to have a personal summer reading program (just like the school kids!).  From June 1-August 31, I am going to read through the New Testament. 

I was raised reading the King James version of the Bible and have also read extensively in the New International version.  This year, I am going to read the New Testament from J. B. Phillips’ New Translation.in Modern English.   If you have access to a different translation than you usually use, give it a try!  

I’d like to invite you to join me in this adventure, starting June 1.  I will post the readings for the week on Monday at the bottom of the daily blog, and also on my Facebook page.  Don’t get discouraged if you miss a day.  Just keep right on going!  God will be with us as we read, opening our understanding and strengthening our faith and hope.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment