Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Gimme, Gimme

Delight yourself in the Lord,

and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Psalm 37:4

This was one of my mother’s favorite Bible verses, and during my childhood, she repeated it often.  In my five-year-old brain, this verse meant:  “Love Jesus, and He will give you what you want.”  As a child, what did I want?  Why, things, of course: dolls and bikes and kitties and French fries and… It took years for me to begin to understand that this verse was not talking about “getting” material things.

As an adult, I ask myself exactly what I desire from a relationship with the Creator:  A closeness to God, feeling His presence, knowing that He hears me when I pray, knowing that He wants the very best for me, trusting that He will guide me in all aspects of my life.  All of this and more is mine – and yours – every day, if we take the time to “delight” ourselves in the Lord.

Today’s Summer Reading:  1st Corinthians 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment