Saturday, July 17, 2021

What You See...

 

And in their mouth was found no guile,

For they are without fault before the throne of God.

Revelation 14:5

My father always taught me that I should live my life as though I had a sign attached to my person that said:

What you see is what you get! 

My dad preached that gospel to anyone who would listen, but this proclamation did not originate with him.  The disciple John, writing his thoughts while imprisoned on the Isle of Patmos, was inspired with the same idea.  He who had been a fisherman much of his life used the word “guile” – fish bait of a baited hook – to illustrate a life of transparency.  A hook is used to fool the fish.  The people of God that John described in Revelation have no fish hook:  no deceit, no deception, no lie.  They are transparent people.

Living life as an open book is not an easy proposition in this murky, less-than-truthful world.  We do not want to appear innocent, naive, or inexperienced.  But I would love to return to a societal norm where your word is the pledge of your integrity and your character.  God values truth.  After all, He is the Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment