Tuesday, June 16, 2020

A Word Fitly Spoken


A Word Fitly Spoken

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 25:11

Several years ago when I was teaching at Thomas Dale H.S., I had the privilege of traveling with one of my students to various universities to audition for entrance into the Music Performance program.  His final audition was at the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore, Maryland.  The school is housed in a building that takes your breath away: grand staircases, works of art, chandeliers and velvet draperies abound.  The warmth of the building, however, was diminished by the coldness of the people.

We walked past a spread of coffee and donuts in one corner of the lobby.  My student’s father, a quiet, shy man, took a doughnut and was reaching for a coffee, when the woman behind the table loudly announced that the refreshments were for auditioning harpists, not us. My friend stood frozen in place.  What was he supposed to do?  Put the doughnut back?

We found a quiet area to go over all the instructions for the day.  After reading the materials and looking at all the signage, I was still not clear where we should go for the actual vocal audition. I approached a woman from Admissions with my query, who retorted, “If you had read the materials provided, you would already have the answer to your question.”  She then turned her back and walked away. 

Amelia Earhart once said, “A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions,
and the roots spring up and make new trees.”

The Apostle Paul said, “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, 
holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with
compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”

My father said,
“There is never a reason to be rude.”

*

Though I may speak with bravest fire,
And have the gift to all inspire,
And have not love, my words are vain,
As sounding brass, and hopeless gain.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 408
 


No comments:

Post a Comment