Friday, June 26, 2020

I AM the Vine


I AM the Vine

I am the true Vine, you are the branches. 
John 15:5

When I bought my first home in Chesterfield County, there was a huge honeysuckle vine growing along the chain-link fence.  It was obvious that no one had spent much time pruning or shaping it, so it grew rather wild – completely intertwined in the wire of the fence.  A small rose bush in front of the vine didn’t stand a chance – the vine covered the bush, the surrounding shrubs, and anything else that was climbable.  When I got sick of the tangles, I snipped a couple of places and went on my way.  The next day, the severed branches were dead, and I could clean things up a bit.  It always amazes me how quickly branches die when they are cut off from the main stalk.

Jesus used the vine analogy to help us understand the beauty of connectivity.  He is the vine stalk, storing nourishment and grace in His roots and lovingly tended by the Father.  We, His children, are the branches - connected to the Vine through heart and soul, gathering sustenance and strength to live our everyday lives for and through Him.  If anything or anyone severs our connection, our spiritual growth withers away.  The vigor of our Christian life is dependent upon our relationship with our Savior.

*

I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord.
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.
I need Thee, O, I need Thee, every hour I need Thee.
O bless me now, my Savior, I come to Thee.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 397


No comments:

Post a Comment