Monday, June 29, 2020

I AM the Bread of Life


I AM the Bread of Life

I am the Bread of Life:
he that comes to Me shall never hunger,
and he that believes on Me shall never thirst.  
John 6:35

I absolutely love bread – any kind, any form.  I learned how to make bread many years ago, and there is nothing quite like the smell of fresh baked bread to start the stomach growling and the mouth salivating.  There is a wonderful Montana Gold bakery in Carytown where you can experience not only the sights and smells of their bread-baking process, but can taste it as well through their “free slice” policy.

How ironic, then, that I cannot eat most bread. I am gluten-intolerant, and cannot eat any bread that contains wheat, barley, spelt or rye flour.  You can enter any grocery store, walk through the bakery or the bread aisle, and choose a loaf of bread for which you will pay $2.00-3.00.  I go to Good Foods Grocery, where I can purchase gluten-free bread for $7.00 a loaf.  The cost is highway robbery, but the ability to eat bread is worth every penny.

Jesus called Himself the Bread of Life.  He is the everyday staple that we need in order to sustain spiritual life.  If we come to Him for sustenance, He promises that we will never hunger and never thirst.  Jesus promised in Matthew 5:6:  Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they will be filled.   If we desire to be like Christ, He will pour into us His life, His character, His love.

*

Break Thou the bread of life,
Dear Lord, to me,
As Thou didst break the loaves beside the sea.
Beyond the sacred page,
I seek Thee, Lord.
My spirit pants for Thee, O Living Word.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 599

No comments:

Post a Comment