Saturday, June 6, 2020

Now Where Did I Put My Keys?


Now Where Did I Put My Keys?

Or imagine a woman who has ten coins and loses one. 
Won’t she light a lamp and scour the house,
looking in every nook and cranny until she finds it? 
And when she finds it, you can be sure she’ll call all her friends and neighbors:
“Celebrate with me! I found my lost coin!
Luke 15:8-9 [The Message]

If it is possible for me to lose my keys, you can count on me doing exactly that!  My children and coworkers are used to being called into action when I have misplaced my keys. If something is in my hand, I have a tendency to just lay it down. Somewhere.  Anywhere.  Sooner or later, something gets placed on top of it and Voila!  No keys. 

Women in Bible times often sewed the coins of their dowry into a headdress; that way they always knew where their money was, because it was worn on their person.  However, it would be easy for a stitch to slip, and one of the coins come lose and fall to the ground. Unfortunately, this was not an everyday mite; it was a silver coin, a part of the family’s fortune. No one knew better than the woman how quickly she needed to find it.

Keys and money are necessary components of everyday life.  The loss of either causes instant panic, the finding brings joyful celebration.  The kingdom of heaven does not deal in silver and gold, but in precious human lives.  When one is lost, God is determined to find.  When the lost returns home, there is great rejoicing.

*

Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
Calling for you and for me.
See on the portals He’s waiting and watching,
Watching for you and for me.
Come home, come home,
You who are weary, come home.
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling.
Calling, O Sinner, come home!
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 348

No comments:

Post a Comment