Sunday, June 21, 2020

To Clancy


To Clancy

“Love is as strong as death.”
~Song of Solomon 8:6a 


My dad died on February 27, 2006.  So many things have happened since then in my life and the lives of his granddaughters – it would take forever to tell him everything: graduations, weddings, cancer, new jobs, the purchase of a home [his greatest wish for me], and so much more.   I have a longing—a need, to talk to him about everything.  Dad would be listening for a long, long time and would love every minute of it.

From time to time, I have played musical vehicles with one of my girls, and I end up driving my father’s old red GMC truck.  I think of him every time I take it for a spin. I think of him when Arizona is front page news.  I think of him when partisan politics rise up to wipe out common sense.  It often makes me laugh, because I know exactly what he would say.  The bonds of love and affection remain strong even when someone has walked through the valley of the shadow of death.  Love never dies.

You’ll be in my heart; yes, you’ll be in my heart
From this day on, now and forevermore.
You’ll be in my heart, no matter what they say,
You’ll be here in my heart always.
   ~Phil Collins

I love you, Dad

*

Eternal Father, strong to save,
whose arm has bound the restless wave.
Who bids the mighty ocean deep
It’s own appointed limits keep.
O hear us when we cry to Thee
For those in peril on the sea.
The Faith We Sing, No. 2191


No comments:

Post a Comment