Saturday, June 27, 2020

I AM the Light of the World


I AM the Light of the World

I am the Light of the World. 
He that follows me shall not walk in darkness,
 but shall have the light of life. 
John 8:12

Are you afraid of the dark?  True fear of the dark, called nyctophobia, is an acute anxiety that something catastrophic will happen to a person if they are alone in the darkness. Nyctophobia is common among young children, with the feeling that something sinister is just out of sight [under the bed, in the closet, outside the window], waiting for the opportune moment to attack.

As an adult, I find that I cannot sleep well if my bedroom is not completely dark.  Outside my house is another matter altogether.  I have five sets of outside lights that guarantee that I will not return home to a darkened property.

Jesus proclaimed Himself to be the Light of the world.  His statement is reminiscent of the very beginning of creation when all was utter darkness until He spoke light into being.  There was no planets, moons or stars at that point, just glorious unending radiance.  There can be no darkness in the presence of the Savior, for He is light itself.  If we are walking with Him, we will be living in the “light of life.”


*

There is sunshine in my soul today,
more glorious and bright
than glows in any earthly sky,
For Jesus is my light.
O there’s sunshine, blessed sunshine,
When the peaceful, happy moments roll.
When Jesus shows His smiling face,
There is sunshine in my soul.
Celebration Hymnal, No. 747

No comments:

Post a Comment