Thursday, June 4, 2020

He Is There


He Is There

We set our eyes not on what we see,
but on what we cannot see,
What we see will last only a short time,
but what we cannot see will last forever.
2 Corinthians 4::18

 On the wall of a concentration camp, a prisoner had carved the words,

 I believe in the sun, even though it doesn't shine, 
I believe in love, even when it isn’t shown, 
I believe in God, even when He doesn’t speak.
-Max Lucado, He Still Moves Stones

I try to imagine the person who etched those words.  I try to envision his hand gripping the broken glass or stone that cut into the wall.  I try to see through his eyes, squinting in the darkness as he carved each letter.  What hand could have cut such a conviction?  What eyes could have seen good in such horror?  There is only one answer:  Eyes that chose to focus on the unseen.

Whatever your circumstances are today – good or bad – there is One who is unseen working in the background – working all things for your good in any and all circumstances.  There will be times in your life when that simple statement will be very hard to believe.  Trust Him.  Even in your darkest hour, He has promised to be with you.  And He who has promised is faithful.

*

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee.
Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not.
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.
Great is Thy faithfulness!  Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.

The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 140

No comments:

Post a Comment