Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Shut My Mouth!

Do not let unwholesome talk come out of your mouths,

but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs,

that it may benefit those who listen.

Ephesians 4:29

I have been given an assignment for my First Person writing class to write 500 words about a “meaningful mistake” I have made.  I decided to enlist the help of my girls and offered them the opportunity to search their memories for mistakes their mother has made over the years.

My youngest daughter answered almost immediately, with what she called “a classic.”  Apparently I was under considerable pressure that particular day, and was trying to multitask, as well as prepare supper – a meal of Spanish rice and beans.  As a burning smell filled the house, it became clear that I had burned the rice.  Feeling totally defeated, I picked up the pan, muttered an expletive, and pitched the burned dinner, pan and all, down the stairs into the cellar.  All three of my girls clearly remember this incident almost two decades later, including the exact curse word I so carelessly uttered.

Paul counsels the church at Ephesus to carefully monitor what comes out of their mouths.  We should speak nothing unwholesome, but only that which will benefit those who are listening – including little pitchers with big ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment