Monday, April 12, 2021

The Ultimate Gardener

 

Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you

Will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Philippians 1:6

Every spring and summer, I spend as much time as possible in the yard, tending to my very large corner lot.  During the isolation of the pandemic and after my retirement, I have had much more time to devote to it.  Late winter has Lenten roses, which melt into the daffodils of spring.  Not far behind are the flowering trees:  a red dogwood, an ornamental cherry, a peach tree, and an apple tree.  This is the first year (in eight years) that my apple tree has fully blossomed, and it is glorious.

Sometimes my friends try to give me the credit for the blossoms that burst forth, but I know better.  It isn’t me at all.  I have the privilege of watching God work, sending the rain, adjusting the temperature, and beaming the sunshine.  He lets me help with weeding, fertilizing and backup watering, but the main portion of the flower fest is His handiwork.

Our text today reminds us that we, who are a part of God’s garden, can be confident that He who started the work in us has promised to carry it through to full flower. 



No comments:

Post a Comment