Monday, November 15, 2021

I Am Thankful for: The Music of Choirs

 

For long ago, in the days of David and Asaph,

there had been directors for the singers,

and for the songs of praise and thanksgiving to God.

Nehemiah 12:46

I was working with the chairman of the Music Department at Pacific Union College, putting together the classes I should take for my Master’s Degree., when Dr. Jim realized a glaring deficiency in my undergraduate work:  I had not taken any classes in choral conducting.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, as it turned out), none of those classes would fit in my schedule.  So Dr. Jim signed me up for a series of Independent Study classes, and taught me himself – one on one.

It has been my privilege to be a choral conductor for almost fifty years, enriching my life more than I can say in these few words.  Congregational singing is wonderful, but choral singing takes that experience to new heights.  If you have the opportunity to sing in a choir, give it a shot!  It will be, as Nehemiah wrote, one of the best ways to proclaim your praise and thanksgiving to God.

 


Shout to the Lord  Hillsong Worship


No comments:

Post a Comment