Saturday, October 16, 2021

A Psalm of David: Psalm 18

 

I love you, oh Lord, my strength.

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer.

My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.

He is my shield and the horn of my salvation.

Psalm 18:1-2a

Psalm 18 is a song that David wrote to give praise to the Lord when God delivered him from the hand of Saul.  David had spent years and years on the run from the king who should have been a mentor and support for the young David.  Instead, Saul’s jealousy turned to hatred, and hatred turned to murderous intent.

Such an experience was actually a blessing in disguise.  Separated from most earthly comforts and security, David had to rely on the only One who could see him through safely.  The Psalms are full of songs pleading for God’s intervention in David’s flight from Saul’s persecution.  This song was written when it was all over - to praise and thank God for His faithfulness and protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment