Monday, October 25, 2021

A Psalm of David: Psalm 27

 

The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear?

The Lord is the strength of my life – of whom shall I be afraid?

One thing I ask of the Lord – this is what I seek:

that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life;

to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord, and to seek Him in His temple.

For in the day of trouble, He will keep me safe in His dwelling.

He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle,

and set me high upon a rock.

Psalm 27:  1,2,4,5

Frances Allitsen was born in London in December of 1848.  Her family moved to a very small village where Frances grew up feeling very isolated and alone.  She turned to music as her joy and comfort.  She begged her parents for music lessons, but they declined – they did not believe she had any talent.  Frances finally received her due recognition as a mezzo-soprano soloist in church.  Eventually she turned to composing her own music.  She is best known for her setting of Psalm 27 i- one of my favorite vocal solos. 

David’s description of God as the Light of his life is echoed in the words of Jesus recorded by John:  I am the Light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life (John 8:12).   

The Lord is My Light - Crystal Cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment