Tuesday, October 12, 2021

A Psalm of David: Psalm 4


One of my children experienced severe insomnia when she was a child.  Whether or not it was connected to her having major surgery at a very young age, I distinctly remember her wandering out into the living room long after she should have been fast asleep.  We would often end up lying on the carpet with me stroking her back and whispering reassurances to her until she fell asleep in the wee hours.

During those long years when he was being pursued by an angry king and his minions, David never knew where he would lay his head at night.  But he had learned that he could place his trust in the Lord who alone could guarantee his safety.  The psalmist would have appreciated the words of this modern hymn:  I don't know who holds tomorrow, but I know Who holds my hand.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment