Wednesday, October 6, 2021

The Gift of Love

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love,

I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,

 and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:1 

The 13th chapter of 1st Corinthians is one of the most loved passages in Scripture.  It is an ode both to what love is, as well as what love is not.  The words have been paraphrased and set to music countless times – none more effectively than The Gift of Love by Hal Hopson.

Mr. Hopson (b. 1933) is a native of Mound, Texas, and now resides in Dallas. He has an international reputation as a clinician and composer and has published more than 1,300 compositions.  I can remember singing this anthem as a teenager, and I have used it in every church choir I have served.  It is timeless in its simplicity and beautiful in its musical setting.

Music @FPCLT The Gift of Love

No comments:

Post a Comment